Book Review: Crooked Kingdom


Kaz Brekker and his crew have just pulled off a heist so daring even they didn't think they'd survive. But instead of divvying up a fat reward, they're right back to fighting for their lives. Double-crossed and badly weakened, the crew is low on resources, allies, and hope. As powerful forces from around the world descend on Ketterdam to root out the secrets of the dangerous drug known as jurda parem, old rivals and new enemies emerge to challenge Kaz's cunning and test the team's fragile loyalties. A war will be waged on the city's dark and twisting streets—a battle for revenge and redemption that will decide the fate of the Grisha world.
Crooked Kingdom is the second and last book to the Six of Crows duology. This series just got better and better! I love the story's intricacies.Every character has a story of their own that is revealed perfectly in time. It helps us understand the whys of their actions. Here's my top three characters:
1. Inej is definitely my favorite. We can learn a thing or two from her. I absolutely admire her strength. No matter how tragic her past was, her struggles didn't break her. Instead, she rooted on them to give herself purpose.
2. I love how Kaz's mind works. His schemes are brilliant. I don't buy that he's all bad. However heartless he may seem, I don't think all his motivations are purely out of greed. And though he doesn't believe it himself, He's proven himself good countless of times. We can also see him struggling with his feelings with Inej. I don't want to spoil anything but their progress really makes me squeal my heart out!
3. Nina brings so much life in every scene she's in. Her sass and humor never fails to make me laugh which is why I always look forward for her POV. In this book we continue to see how she copes with the withdrawal of the dreaded jurda parem. But let me ease your worry, our girl is still her glamorous self!

I love how this book has tackled morality. It made me rethink the definition of good and evil; what makes a man bad or good. There were also important issues explored throughout this series like gambling addiction and human trafficking. Kudos to Leigh Bardugo for raising awareness about important matters. I am so glad to see how solid their friendship is. So I was really heartbroken to see their journey together come to an end. Get your tissues ready. I almost teared up on this one!
"You aren't a flower. You are every blossom in the wood blooming at once."
"I would come for you. And if I couldn't walk, I'd crawl to you, and no matter how broken we were, we'd fight our way out together--knife drawn, pistols blazing." 



0 comments:

Post a Comment