Book Review: The Art of Racing in the Rain



Enzo knows he is different from other dogs: a philosopher with a nearly human soul (and an obsession with opposable thumbs), he has educated himself by watching television extensively, and by listening very closely to the words of his master, Denny Swift, an up-and-coming race car driver.

Through Denny, Enzo has gained tremendous insight into the human condition, and he sees that life, like racing, isn't simply about going fast. On the eve of his death, Enzo takes stock of his life, recalling all that he and his family have been through.

A heart-wrenching but deeply funny and ultimately uplifting story of family, love, loyalty, and hope, The Art of Racing in the Rain is a beautifully crafted and captivating look at the wonders and absurdities of human life ... as only a dog could tell it.
 To all dog lovers out their, this is the book for you. Being one myself, I was really curious to read a story in the perspective of a dog. It was clear from the first chapters that Enzo is dying. There is only a handful of things that could make me cry and dog death is on top of that short list. But still I braved on finishing the book. Because while I know I'll end up welling up with tears, this book was also funny and heartwarming. I was bursting with anger and then I was genuinely happy. It has been a long while since I've felt so much emotion for a book. Emotions that manifest themselves outwardly and not just feelings that doesn't show. Making The Art of Dancing in the Rain, a new additional to my favorite books of all time.

I easily understood the special bond between Enzo and Denny. I can't help but reminisce all the pets I had. All I equally loved and cherished. All holds a piece of my heart. Out of more than a hundred books I've read, only three books managed to make me cry. Of all three, I cried on this one the hardest.

I think the hardest part of being a dog owner is knowing someday, you'll have to let them go. But the joy and love a dog brings does not compare to that heartbreaking truth. And just like Denny, I think no matter how much it pains us to say goodbye, we should be by their side as they face what comes next. Enzo will surely capture a reader's heart. Highly recommended to all readers of all ages! This story will stay with you long after you finished the book.

Also, listen and watch the official video of Happier by Marshmello. I think it's the perfect soundtrack!


“That which you manifest is before you.”

“There is no dishonor in losing the race. There is only dishonor in not racing because you are afraid to lose."



0 comments:

Post a Comment