Book Review: Furyborn

The stunningly original, must-read fantasy of 2018 follows two fiercely independent young women, centuries apart, who hold the power to save their world...or doom it.
When assassins ambush her best friend, Rielle Dardenne risks everything to save him, exposing herself as one of a pair of prophesied queens: a queen of light, and a queen of blood. To prove she is the Sun Queen, Rielle must endure seven elemental magic trials. If she fails, she will be executed...unless the trials kill her first.
One thousand years later, the legend of Queen Rielle is a fairy tale to Eliana Ferracora. A bounty hunter for the Undying Empire, Eliana believes herself untouchable--until her mother vanishes. To find her, Eliana joins a rebel captain and discovers that the evil at the empire's heart is more terrible than she ever imagined.
As Rielle and Eliana fight in a cosmic war that spans millennia, their stories intersect, and the shocking connections between them ultimately determine the fate of their world--and of each other. 
I bought this book because of the hype I've seen on book bloggers but I am utterly disappointed. Though I love how it kept me guessing, I love the characters (Tal, Audric, Ludivine, Simon), and the story made me care about each of them. I only have one issue but plays a huge part and it makes all the difference. It was revealed on the first few chapters that Rielle is the Blood Queen and Eliana, obviously, the Sun Queen. I find it quite frustrating how unfair the story was for Rielle. There she was working her ass off to get some love and acceptance for nothing! She's literally putting her life on the line just to get affection and what does she get? She gets to be the bad guy that everyone hates. Even her freakin father was cruel to her. She was forced to live in isolation. But apparently, everyone's shocked how she turns out to be. What do you people expect with such harsh upbringing? She's forced into situations that would trigger hate and then get blamed for it. Where's the justice in that?
The only reason I kept pushing through pages was because I wanted to find out how on earth Rielle ended up killing the love of her life. And I'm not buying the "she's the villain" crap. I would burn the sequel of this book if I'm not given a good enough explanation for that. I couldn't careless how Eliana would find out about her powers. I mean this girl would trade the life of hundreds of innocent people to spare the life of her family. But no biggie. All is forgiven. She'll be the Sun Queen regardless. This wretched girl, who left Simon to save her own ass, would be everyone's savior.
It's like their actions doesn't matter because their fate is written. One could give up an entire rebel's haven but nobody bats an eye because she's already labeled the Sun Queen. And then another girl who is killing herself to prove her worth is doomed to be the Blood Queen. WHAT THE HELL IS THIS. One word to sum up my verdict, INJUSTICE. Also, how is this a YA Book? Some part contains scenes too mature for young readers. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment